Board index Site Topics Exercise Motivation...

Motivation...

Open Forum to discuss all topics involving exercise.

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 am
Dustimus_Prime User avatar
Site Admin

Why hello there!

You're friendly neighborhood site owner here. I want to start this off by simply posing the question "What motivates you?" in anything; exercise, career, pleasure, life. I ask, because these motivating factors are a driving force to your success in your health. Everyone has a reason to do something, how you apply it, is up to you.

Let me give you and example. I exercise now for several reason. I am tired of my tubby appearance. That one is simple enough, but for whatever reason was not enough to get me to work out or eat right. It took something more. Eventually when I hit 25, I started to work out on the Power 90 program and successfully lost 25 pounds in the process. The whole reason was because I want to appeal to the opposite sex! Bingo! There's the motivation. Long story short, I met my now wife, we got comfortable gained some of it back. We exercised and lost 40 pounds each! We then got pregnant, priorities in life took over and we ended back where we started.

NOW, we have a lovely 14 month old daughter. Now my motivation has shifted. I now want to be healthy, for me and my family. I want to be sexy for my wife, I want to be the healthy strong dad my daughter deserves, and still maintain all my nerd cred. LOL It's doable! I am currently 11 pounds down and life is great! (More in the "Bring on the Pain: Redux" post. Now I have all that to drive me and use it as fuel to push me every day. So, what motivates you?
Dustin "Dustimus_Prime" VanCour - OWNER
http://www.1upyourlife.com/

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am

I love doing karate. Lately as I trained more, my weight had started to creep up. Then it hit an unacceptable level. It's not that I am out of shape, but more that I hit a level where I stopped losing weight and while I gained muscle, my weight kept going up. This led to problems with my training because I was carrying too much weight on my frame. I could keep up with the others I trained with, but I'm not satisfied with "just keeping up". The answer for me was to find a way to lose the fat. That would make me faster and more agile in karate class. So, I started going to a gym. A month later I'm about 10 lbs lighter. I already see improvement in my stamina and believe it or not, my punches and kicks are still as strong or even stronger after losing the weight. I still have another 40 lbs to go before I get to a more acceptable weight. I set a goal of losing about 5 lbs a month. It's a very obtainable goal and by the end of the year I will meet that goal.

That's my strategy if you want to call it one: small changes over a long time. Obtainable goals throughout the year until I cross the finish line.

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 am

Hey dustin,

Scott here. When it comes to motivation i find that to be the hardest part. I own an Elliptical and a few dumbbells, but when it comes to motivating myself i just slip back in a depressive slump and eat shit and stop exercising. Similar things to what you mentioned are what i want but its not enough to motivate me for some reason. :(

I hope that soon though i can step up to the plate because i have goal to get under 200lbs before the end of the year and id assume thats around 30 pounds give or take to lose. I don't know the exact number because i am rather afraid of stepping on the scale since the last time i tired to lose weight it really kicked me down a few pegs seeing the weight go up instead of down.

But im sorry for rambling, i am so glad that these forums are back up and i can let this out to someone.

scottydoo
Check me out over at This Week In Geek where I host Movie Madness

ImageImage

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:14 am
Dustimus_Prime User avatar
Site Admin

To TempleofTheHut:
Good for you dude! Martial Arts classes are great motivation. Theirs a fight fitness gym here in Boise. I think it's more MMA based, BUT they use very unorthodox equipment. Tires being one of them. Seeing some dude flip a giant tractor tire is nuts! And the agility aspect of it all, I can't even imagine. Reminds me of a show I saw on Discovery called Fight Science. if you haven't seen it, look it up. It's a fun watch. Keep up the good work!

To ScottyDoo32:
My brutha! Everything you just listed SHOULD be your motivation. I can't say I don't know where you're coming from, but I do. To be blunt, getting motivated is damn hard, but once you get going, you get what I want to talk about next, and that's momentum. once you have momentum on your side, holy crap dude, you become unstoppable. If I were you, i'd be pissed and that would be my fuel. I'd be mad that I have everything in front of me to start, and don't do it. I'd be pissed to look at the scale and see I'm overweight. NOW, let that anger burn, and think about. Don't hesitate, tell yourself, this is the day. this is the day Scott gets out there and dominates. believe it or not, it's that easy. It's ok to get emotional, frustrated, achy, and sore. But you know what? You get back up and do it again anyway. Because it's worth! You'll wake up in the morning one day and go,"Damn, my biceps, lats, triceps, quads, calves, abs, etc. are hurtin'!" and you'll pause, and go, "it must be working." and smile and get out there and do it again! Here's my advice. Find a program you like. Depending on your income, you can find anything from videos on YouTube to a personal trainer. And stick with it for a month. 45 min to an hour every day 4-6 days a week. Watch what you eat amd i promise, you will see results. Also, guarantee you'll have a smile on your face and you'll keep on going. And if you EVER feel like getting off track, consult me and we'll find another route. You can do it buddy, you have the Tiger's Blood. You obviously want to do it....so just DO IT! ^_^
Dustin "Dustimus_Prime" VanCour - OWNER
http://www.1upyourlife.com/

Return to Exercise